- A salmon or sea trout after spawning and before returning to the sea.More example sentences
- A number of kelts have recently been caught on the Yorkshire Ouse system.
- If I have kept abreast of the frequent developments on the Tay, then you may not fish with bait early in the season to limit the damage done to kelts before they return, and this is only good sense.
- It is sometimes claimed large trout caught in February are being illegally taken as kelts.
Middle English: of unknown origin.
More definitions of keltDefinition of kelt in:
- The US English dictionary