noun (pluralsame or kelvins)
- The SI base unit of thermodynamic temperature, equal in magnitude to the degree Celsius.More example sentences
- Liquid helium will cool the gyroscopes to 1.8 kelvins.
- During typical sonoluminescence experiments, spectral emission temperatures range up to tens of thousands of kelvins, and the rapidly imploding bubble walls can generate internal shock waves under certain conditions.
- To the scientists' surprise, tests showed that the resulting compound is a superconductor at cryogenic temperatures below 18.5 kelvins.
late 19th century: named after Lord Kelvin (see Kelvin, 1st Baron).
More definitions of kelvinDefinition of kelvin in:
- The US English dictionary