Definition of kennel in English:
- A North Vancouver RCMP police dog has been deemed a dangerous offender and been ordered to be kept inside a kennel or muzzled when not on duty after it bit a gardener who was doing landscape work next door.
- I have a dog, and I've noticed that though she is pleased to see me when I get home, it's often because now she can get out of the kennel.
- It is normally kept in a kennel out the back, where it acts as a guard dog.
- Our funds are vital for the care of animals at our kennels and cattery in Keighley, and without our shop-generated funds, we may have to refuse admissions.
- His breeding kennels have insured that this breed will be perpetuated.
- Domestic pets then had to be taken to other RSPCA centres or to private kennels and catteries, which meant inspectors and animal collectors sometimes had to travel up to 30 miles.
- A large kennel of dogs was simply another accoutrement of the landed upper class.
- Because this hunter could not afford a large kennel of dogs, he required a single dog who could find every kind of game.
- We saw hunt groups who can no longer hunt foxes but still keep large kennels of dogs that have to be fed.
verb (kennels, kennelling, kennelled; US kennels, kenneling, kenneled)[with object] Back to top
- Every animal recovered is checked by vets then kennelled.
- In future the pack of 50 hounds kennelled at Crag Top Farm will be chasing rabbit.
- Loving and attentive, the Sheltie will not do well kennelled out of doors.
canary from late 16th century:
The canary acquired its name from the Canary Islands, which is where the ancestors of our cage birds originate. The name of the islands comes from Latin canaria insula, which meant ‘island of dogs’ from canis ‘dog’, one of the islands having had a large population of dogs. Canis is also the source of canine (Late Middle English) and kennel (Middle English).
Words that rhyme with kennelantennal, crenel, fennel
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.