Definition of kenosis in English:
(In Christian theology) the renunciation of the divine nature, at least in part, by Christ in the Incarnation.
- Herbert appeals to the imagery of divine kenosis.
- For Bulgakov, kenosis, the divine self-diminution, is the core revelation of who God is.
- Theology has typically confined the concept of kenosis to the incarnation of the Son.
- Example sentences
- If, at the same time, we understand divine judgment as kenotic and eschatological, we will be driven to deny that anything we understand by judgment might represent it.
- The divine judgment is unexpected, kenotic, eschatological, and apophatically affirmed and denied.
- This in no way means that God is powerless, as some critics of kenotic theology have complained.
Words that rhyme with kenosisapotheosis, chlorosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, hypnosis, meiosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osmosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, sclerosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
Definition of kenosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.