Definition of kerchief in English:
1A piece of fabric used to cover the head.
- My mom is extremely self-conscious about her hair loss and always wears a bandanna or kerchief to cover her head.
- From the back, hundreds of women looked like my mother, bent kneeling with bowed heads, kerchiefs or chapel veils covering their heads.
- Not all Muslim women wear a veil, but among those who do, styles vary wildly, from simple kerchiefs and elaborate head scarves to full face-and-body coverings.
1.1 literary A handkerchief.
- But his prayers to Saint Veronica, who is credited with giving Jesus a kerchief to wipe his brow on the road to Golgotha, apparently go unanswered.
- Sniffing, Hanna wiped at her face with her kerchief.
- I wiped the tears from my face with a kerchief he offered me.
Middle English kerchef, from Old French cuevrechief, from couvrir 'to cover' + chief 'head'.
- Example sentences
- They were defeated by kerchiefed mothers and grandmothers silently walking in a circle day after day displaying their grief and the General's crimes for all to see.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan