- 1A piece of fabric used to cover the head.More example sentences
- My mom is extremely self-conscious about her hair loss and always wears a bandanna or kerchief to cover her head.
- From the back, hundreds of women looked like my mother, bent kneeling with bowed heads, kerchiefs or chapel veils covering their heads.
- Not all Muslim women wear a veil, but among those who do, styles vary wildly, from simple kerchiefs and elaborate head scarves to full face-and-body coverings.
- 1.1 • literary A handkerchief.More example sentences
- But his prayers to Saint Veronica, who is credited with giving Jesus a kerchief to wipe his brow on the road to Golgotha, apparently go unanswered.
- Sniffing, Hanna wiped at her face with her kerchief.
- I wiped the tears from my face with a kerchief he offered me.
Middle English kerchef, from Old French cuevrechief, from couvrir 'to cover' + chief 'head'.