- A New Zealand pigeon which has mainly greenish metallic plumage with white underparts and a purplish-crimson bill and feet.
More example sentences
- Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae, family Columbidae. Alternative name: New Zealand pigeon
- Have I mentioned that my favourite New Zealand bird is the kereru, the native wood pigeon?
- We did see a tui and a kereru in Cornwall Park today.
- There were trees over hanging the pool, and as we lay back we were entertained by a kereru and a tui in the branches.
late 19th century: from Maori.