- An organic compound containing a carbonyl group CO bonded to two hydrocarbon groups, made by oxidizing secondary alcohols. The simplest such compound is acetone.More example sentences
- Low molecular weight aldehydes and ketones are soluble in water because the carbonyl oxygen atom allows the molecules to form strong hydrogen bonds with the molecules of water.
- Over time, however, it oxidizes and chemically degrades to form alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, acids and esters.
- In this reaction, an ester joins with another ester, a ketone, or a nitrile.
mid 19th century: from German Keton, alteration of Aketon 'acetone'.
More definitions of ketoneDefinition of ketone in:
- The US English dictionary