Definition of ketosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A condition characterized by raised levels of ketone bodies in the body, associated with abnormal fat metabolism and diabetes mellitus.
- The urine ketone dip test was highly sensitive for diabetic ketoacidosis and diabetic ketosis with or without acidosis.
- Three key features of diabetic acidosis are hyperglycemia, ketosis, and acidosis.
- The real danger in ketosis is that ketones are acidic, and high levels of ketones make the blood abnormally acid.
- Example sentences
- Other ketotic states such as alcoholic and starvation ketosis can also produce a positive urine ketone test without corresponding serum ketones, affecting the specificity of the urine dip test for detecting ketonemia.
- I was constipated, energy-less, had ketotic breath and was just generally miserable.
- If I see a cow looking a little ketotic, I give her a bottle of dextrose and a little grain, and that usually takes care of it.
Definition of ketosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan