- 1 [mass noun] The leaves of an Arabian shrub, which are chewed (or drunk as an infusion) as a stimulant.More example sentences
- Knowledgeable users maintain that chewing khat has more in common with coffee than cocaine.
- Mahdi chews khat, a semi-narcotic leaf that has wired generations of Muslims from the coast of eastern Africa to Yemen at the tip of the Arabian Peninsula.
- In Somali communities, chewing a traditional stimulant called khat has landed some people in deportation proceedings, since the leaf is now categorized as a controlled substance.
- 2The shrub that produces khat, growing in mountainous regions and often cultivated.
More example sentences
- Catha edulis, family Celastraceae
- Ethiopian officials said they are not going to stop farmers from growing khat, but are trying to offer alternatives.
mid 19th century: from Arabic qāt.
More definitions of khatDefinition of khat in:
- The US English dictionary