British Change quickly into a lower gear in a car with an automatic transmission by a sudden full depression of the accelerator.
- However, the transmission has a tendency to kick down into first gear all too easily, which can make progress around town a little jerky.
- I kept thinking the bike was going to stall as the revs dropped, and rather than kicking down a few gears, rolling off the throttle, and using a bit of brake to go around a corner, I had to use the brakes alone to slow me down.
- You get the odd hairy moment when coming over a ridge and round a corner at the same time as the car kicks down a gear and opens the throttle to maintain its speed.
Definition of kick down in:
A device for changing gear in a motor vehicle with automatic transmission by full depression of the accelerator.
- But I could also do the same in the auto mode, and quicker, with the accelerator kick-down.
- Upchanging was quite seamless, and even with full throttle kick-downs there were no nasty thumps to upset grandma in the back.
- The auto box is great around town although the delay in reacting to kick-downs might make your passengers think you're a bit of a lead-foot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.