- British Change quickly into a lower gear in a car with an automatic transmission by a sudden full depression of the accelerator.More example sentences
- However, the transmission has a tendency to kick down into first gear all too easily, which can make progress around town a little jerky.
- I kept thinking the bike was going to stall as the revs dropped, and rather than kicking down a few gears, rolling off the throttle, and using a bit of brake to go around a corner, I had to use the brakes alone to slow me down.
- You get the odd hairy moment when coming over a ridge and round a corner at the same time as the car kicks down a gear and opens the throttle to maintain its speed.
More definitions of kick downDefinition of kick down in:
- The US English dictionary