British Change quickly into a lower gear in a car with an automatic transmission by a sudden full depression of the accelerator.
- However, the transmission has a tendency to kick down into first gear all too easily, which can make progress around town a little jerky.
- I kept thinking the bike was going to stall as the revs dropped, and rather than kicking down a few gears, rolling off the throttle, and using a bit of brake to go around a corner, I had to use the brakes alone to slow me down.
- You get the odd hairy moment when coming over a ridge and round a corner at the same time as the car kicks down a gear and opens the throttle to maintain its speed.
Definition of kick down in:
- US English dictionary
A device for changing gear in a motor vehicle with automatic transmission by full depression of the accelerator.
- But I could also do the same in the auto mode, and quicker, with the accelerator kick-down.
- Upchanging was quite seamless, and even with full throttle kick-downs there were no nasty thumps to upset grandma in the back.
- The auto box is great around town although the delay in reacting to kick-downs might make your passengers think you're a bit of a lead-foot.
Words that rhyme with kick-downthistledown • sit-down
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan