noun (plural kidneys)
1Each of a pair of organs in the abdominal cavity of mammals, birds, and reptiles, that excrete urine.
- Treatment must be rapid to protect organs such as the kidneys, lungs, and liver from damage.
- In addition, waste materials cannot be transported properly to the lungs and kidneys for excretion.
- They each had their own head, arms, legs, brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and liver.
1.1 [mass noun] The kidney of a sheep, ox, or pig as food.
- It's poached skate with fennel or lamb kidney sausage on bacon and onion bread.
- The skewer lay on a vol-au-vent filled with a lightly truffled fudge of sweetbread and kidney, a faint lemoniness danced on my tongue.
- Follow that with steamed oxtail, beef and veal kidney pudding with roast shallots and buttered carrots.
Middle English: of obscure origin.
Words that rhyme with kidneySidney, Sydney
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.