- A metric unit of measurement equal to 1,000 metres (approximately 0.62 miles).More example sentences
- A meter is about three feet and three inches and a kilometer equals about six tenths of a mile.
- As with metres and kilometres, we need some new units, or we'd need a lot of zeroes!
- Next we will be having our speedometers changed from miles per hour to kilometres per hour.
- More example sentences
- The HST images were obtained during a campaign by the Cassini spacecraft to measure the solar wind approaching Saturn and the Saturn kilometric emissions.
- Normal displacements are pervasive from the millimetric to the kilometric scales.
There are two possible pronunciations for kilometre: one with the stress on the ki- and the other with the stress on the -lo-. The first is traditionally considered correct, with a stress pattern similar to other units of measurement such as centimetre. The second pronunciation, which originated in US English and is now also very common in British English, is still regarded as incorrect by some people, especially in British English.
More definitions of kilometreDefinition of kilometre in:
- The US English dictionary