noun[mass noun] Geology
- A rare, blue-tinged, coarse-grained intrusive igneous rock sometimes containing diamonds, found in South Africa and Siberia. Also called blue ground.More example sentences
- It was suggested by some readers that the matrix for the featured diamond crystal from the Jagersfontein mine looked suspiciously like the rock eclogite rather than kimberlite.
- Diamond is obtained from volcanic pipes composed of kimberlite or lamproite, rocks that are found only in cratons, very old stable areas of the Earth's crust.
- Lamproite is also a mantle-derived ultramafic rock that differs from kimberlite in bulk chemistry, being richer in silicon and poorer in aluminum and iron.
More definitions of kimberliteDefinition of kimberlite in:
- The US English dictionary