Awareness of the position and movement of the parts of the body by means of sensory organs (proprioceptors) in the muscles and joints.
- Notably absent from this conventional taxonomy, however, is kinesthesia, our sensory awareness of the position and movement of the body.
- They have lost their proprioception (the sense of the body's position) and kinesthesia (the sense of the body's motion).
- The feeling of movement - discussed as kinaesthesia - is married to a musical sequence, by which the shapes seem to converse in a kind of inner-skull environment.
- Example sentences
- The studies looked at changes in intelligence, psychomotor speed, executive functions, visuospatial ability, kinesthetic function and electrophysiological measures.
- These babies are easily overwhelmed by tactile, visual, auditory, and kinesthetic stimuli.
- The kinesthetic imagery and the visual imagery groups had to mentally rehearse the task six times following the same instructions as in the mental practice training.
Late 19th century: from Greek kinein 'to move' + aisthēsis 'sensation'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: kin¦aes|the¦sia
Definition of kinaesthesia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.