noun[usually with modifier] Biochemistry
- An enzyme that catalyses the transfer of a phosphate group from ATP to a specified molecule.More example sentences
- In general, protein kinases are enzymes that phosphorylate proteins, which then become activated.
- Protein kinases turn on other enzymes by a chemical reaction called phosphorylation that adds phosphate tags to proteins.
- The consequence of these mutations is a cascade phosphorylation of certain serine/threonine protein kinases.
early 20th century: from Greek kinein 'to move' + -ase.
More definitions of kinaseDefinition of kinase in:
- The US English dictionary