Definition of kinematics in English:
plural noun[usually treated as singular]
1The branch of mechanics concerned with the motion of objects without reference to the forces which cause the motion. Compare with dynamics.
- Again I want to note that because photons are massless, Newtonian kinematics and ‘force’ do us absolutely no good here.
- In 1903 he published Geometrie der Dynamen which considered euclidean kinematics and the mechanics of rigid bodies.
- Drosophila melanogaster has been a valuable model system for the analysis of flight kinematics, aerodynamics and mechanics.
1.1 [usually treated as plural] The features or properties of motion in an object.
- At any speed, a combination of kinematics generating thrust in excess of drag will permit a bird to accelerate.
- Locomotor kinematics in mackerel are similar to tuna and mackerel swim steadily at speeds of 1-2 body lengths per second in the field.
- A rowing fin that oscillates about its root requires slightly different kinematics from the simple heaving and pitching plate.
- Example sentences
- Using this kinematic and kinetic perspective, we offer four specific criteria to help constrain and evaluate competing scenarios for the origin of the avian flight stroke.
- He developed a new form of relativity called kinematic relativity, an alternative to Einstein's general theory of relativity, which also met with considerable opposition.
- This paper is a mini review of kinetic and kinematic evidence on the control of the hand with emphasis on grasping.
- Example sentences
- After development, the hologram is kinematically replaced in its original position.
- Structural features associated with the software include wire frame and surface model depiction of the virtual human, kinematically correct joint motion and even different shoe models (for pedal design and position).
- Early crustal thickening was associated with high-grade metamorphism of the basement and is kinematically complex.
Definition of kinematics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan