Definition of kinesics in English:
plural noun[usually treated as singular]
1The study of the way in which certain body movements and gestures serve as a form of non-verbal communication.
- Other kinds of human communication [besides speech] are sometimes called language: body language, or kinesics, is one example.
- This was unfortunate as it narrowed the scope of the potential field, separating kinesics from much that was of interest to mainstream anthropology.
- After conducting fieldwork together in New Guinea, Bateson and Mead coproduced ethnographic films and photodocumentation of Balinese kinesics.
1.1 [usually treated as plural] Body movements and gestures regarded as a form of non-verbal communication.
- Mr. O was showing and acknowledging a greater affective range, both verbally and in his kinesics.
- The anatomical characteristics of a person have a definite bearing on our perception of his or her kinesics.
Definition of kinesics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan