- We consider it far more likely that kinematic and kinetic aspects of forelimb motion coevolved.
- For Wight, nature's timelessness transcends kinetic motion and the realm of the ticking clock.
- However, the cybernetic approach requires kinetic information for all the reactions in the network.
- The effect of these works is kinetic and compares to cells in film or frames in comic strips.
- The kinetic works stole the show, inducting the viewer into a realm beyond our normal experiences of space and time.
- The tubes may be combined with supplemental materials; some works are kinetic.
- Example sentences
- Each of these phases originates from one primary step in the cross-bridge cycle that is linked by different degrees (i.e., steady-state or kinetically coupled) to upstream and downstream steps in the cycle.
- Recent studies of molecular evolution in defined subregions of the myosin head have revealed unexpected sequence similarity in distantly related but kinetically similar myosins, suggesting a process of convergent evolution.
- Inside, we find shambling, carefully sculpted poetics that take full advantage of their capacity to surprise and startle: no two pages look the same; the text kinetically rambles over the available surface area.
Mid 19th century: from Greek kinētikos, from kinein 'to move'.
cinema from early 20th century:
A cinema shows moving pictures, and movement is the root idea of the word. The Greek verb kinein ‘to move’ (the source of kinetic (mid 19th century) and other kine- words related to movement) is the base, and was used by the French brothers Auguste and Louis Jean Lumière to form the word cinématographe for their invention of an apparatus that showed moving pictures, which they patented in 1895. Cinématographe was anglicized to cinematograph, which in turn was abbreviated to cinema, first recorded in English in 1909.
Words that rhyme with kineticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, arithmetic, ascetic, athletic, balletic, bathetic, cosmetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, peripatetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, splenetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: kin|et¦ic
Definition of kinetic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.