noun (plural same or kingfishes)
Any of a number of large sporting fish, many of which are edible:
- ● a fish of the jack family (Carangidae), including the yellowtail kingfish (Seriola grandis) of the South Pacific. ● (northern kingfish) a fish of the drum family (Menticirrhus saxatilis, family Sciaenidae), of the east coast of North America. ● a western Atlantic fish of the mackerel family (Scomberomorus cavalla, family Scombridae).
More example sentences
- Trio of hapuka, salmon and kingfish each individually prepared and presented on a large platter.
- The menu board also features Caribbean classics like oxtail stew, red snapper, kingfish and curried goat.
- At night, as you dine by oil lamp on kingfish, pilau rice and tropical fruits, the fishing boats set forth once more like Viking ships, their prows cutting through the waves and paddles fighting with the swell.
More definitions of kingfishDefinition of kingfish in:
- The US English dictionary