Definition of kinin in English:
1 Biochemistry Any of a group of substances formed in body tissue in response to injury. They are polypeptides and cause vasodilation and smooth muscle contraction.
- During states of ineffective arterial volume, local production of vasodilatory prostanoids and kinins in the kidney offsets the decrease in renal blood flow and helps maintain the glomerular filtration rate.
- This same converting enzyme also breaks down kinins, which are powerful vasodilators, and therefore tend to lower the blood pressure.
- In addition, the release of vasoactive kinins from muscle may interfere with renal hemodynamics.
2 Botany A compound that promotes cell division and inhibits ageing in plants. Also called cytokinin.
- Maybe these cells would differ in sensitivity to auxin or kinin.
- Coconut milk is recognized as a rich source of plant cell division inducers, which have become known as kinins.
- Other topical therapies new to the anti-aging scene include plant kinins which appear to have both anti-irritant and photoaging reversal properties with no perceived irritation.
Definition of kinin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan