Definition of kiosk in English:
1A small open-fronted hut or cubicle from which newspapers, refreshments, tickets, etc. are sold.
- Its newspaper La Vérité was sold publicly in newspaper kiosks and had a wide readership.
- Fans could bet on the numbers in bars, barber shops, newspaper kiosks, and other neighborhood outlets.
- The popularisation of orange juice, sold at a kiosk at Flinders Street Station, was one of his novelties.
1.1A small structure in a public area used for providing information or displaying advertisements, often incorporating an interactive display screen or screens.
- Today, the information is available in Kannada, the local language, through 200 government-owned computer kiosks in administrative offices across the state.
- New movies could be downloaded at airport or mall kiosks.
- For example, our Endless Aisle program enables shoppers to purchase hard-to-find items using Internet-based in-store kiosks.
2 (usually telephone kiosk) British A public telephone booth.
- The charms included a pair of riding boots, a pair of rugby boots signifying when their son played his first game, a little church, a telephone kiosk and a gypsy caravan.
- He went into the telephone kiosk in the station to make a call.
- He said that after Corless saw her victim inside the store she went outside and hid in a telephone kiosk until the pensioner left the shop.
3 archaic (In Turkey and Iran) a light open pavilion or summer house.
- Aynalikavak Pavilion and several other kiosks were built between 18th-19th centuries, and the complex was known by the people as the Shipyard Palaces.
- This take on the classic glass pavilion is no demonstration model for a transparent Utopia, nor is it an attempt to ‘frame’ the natural surroundings. It is a less formal design for a kiosk in the park beside Riesbach Harbour in Zürich.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia