1A woman’s gown or outer petticoat.
- The Virgin invariably wears a dark blue gown, sometimes over a minever kirtle with plain undergarment, to stress her high status.
- This fabric will be the front of the kirtle with the red linen serving as lining and body of dress.
- Very striking, the balance between the simple solid color of the kirtle and the elegant trim.
1.1A man’s tunic or coat.
- Men wore hats or caps, a kirtle or knee-length coat, shirt, waistcoat, trousers, woolen stockings, and shoes or high boots.
- Moira, a 45-year-old checkout manager at the local Safeway store, admits her husband would not have the same pride wearing a kilt as the kirtle, the ornate and authentic Viking costume.
- The bowmen were dressed in green kirtles, rather shorter than those of the squires, and wore dark woolen hose; they carried their bows and arrows slung across their shoulders.
Words that rhyme with kirtlehurtle, myrtle, turtle
Definition of kirtle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.