Definition of kirtle in English:
1A woman’s gown or outer petticoat.
- The Virgin invariably wears a dark blue gown, sometimes over a minever kirtle with plain undergarment, to stress her high status.
- This fabric will be the front of the kirtle with the red linen serving as lining and body of dress.
- Very striking, the balance between the simple solid color of the kirtle and the elegant trim.
1.1A man’s tunic or coat.
- Men wore hats or caps, a kirtle or knee-length coat, shirt, waistcoat, trousers, woolen stockings, and shoes or high boots.
- Moira, a 45-year-old checkout manager at the local Safeway store, admits her husband would not have the same pride wearing a kilt as the kirtle, the ornate and authentic Viking costume.
- The bowmen were dressed in green kirtles, rather shorter than those of the squires, and wore dark woolen hose; they carried their bows and arrows slung across their shoulders.
Definition of kirtle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan