A small gull that nests in colonies on sea cliffs, having a loud call that resembles its name.
- Genus Rissa, family Laridae: two species, in particular the black-legged Rissa tridactyla of the North Atlantic and North Pacific
More example sentences
- The northwards path along a rocky coastline takes you to the castle, a romantic ruin where kittiwakes, cormorants and fulmars nest on whinstone cliffs.
- Bempton is the largest seabird colony in England and is home to a breathtaking array of gannets, guillemots, razorbills, kittiwakes, fulmars - and puffins.
- Coastal and seabird numbers have remained stable, with big increases in guillemot numbers balancing the decline in kittiwakes.
early 17th century (originally Scots): imitative of its call.
Definition of kittiwake in:
- The US English dictionary