- A chamber, built wholly or partly underground, used by male Pueblo Indians for religious rites.More example sentences
- Tensions worsened when Spanish soldiers under Governor Juan Francisco Trevino sacked the Pueblos' sacred kivas.
- Intriguing acoustic effects have also been noted at sites in the Americas, from Anasazi kivas in New Mexico, to Chichen Itza on Mexico's Yucatan peninsula.
- Pueblo kivas were built long before the Catholics came.
late 19th century: from Hopi kíva.
More definitions of kivaDefinition of kiva in:
- The US English dictionary