Definition of kiwi in English:
noun (plural kiwis)
1A flightless New Zealand bird with hair-like feathers, having a long downcurved bill with sensitive nostrils at the tip.
- Family Apterygidae and genus Apteryx: three species
- The kiwi, a flightless nocturnal bird unique to New Zealand, is the symbol for everything from New Zealand.
- I find it amusing that the country's air force logo is a kiwi, a bird that can't even fly.
- At one exciting moment, several kiwis were calling loudly only a few feet above us on a hillside, but they never came into view.
2 (Kiwi) informal A New Zealander.
- We had some philosophical disagreements, but he was a good Kiwi and a good New Zealander.
- The next match of the series takes place at South Leeds Stadium on Friday when the Kiwis meet Australia.
- Here in Australia we allow Kiwis to enter anytime they like and to work in our great country.
Mid 19th century: from Maori.
Words that rhyme with kiwipeewee, weewee
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.