Words that rhyme with knapbap, cap, chap, clap, dap, entrap, enwrap, flap, frap, gap, giftwrap, hap, lap, Lapp, map, nap, nappe, pap, rap, sap, schappe, scrap, slap, snap, strap, tap, trap, wrap, yap, zap
verb (knaps, knapping, knapped)[with object]
1 Architecture & Archaeology Shape (a piece of stone, typically flint) by striking it, so as to make a tool or weapon or a flat-faced stone for building walls: (as adjective knapped) buildings made of knapped flint
More example sentences
- As soon as you come near to the South Downs, you get into the chalk lands, and all the older buildings begin to have knapped flints in them.
- The history of the knife is an intriguing one dating hack to simple flint tools knapped by prehistoric man.
- By around 5,000 BC a focus had developed at the confluence of the Nene and a small tributary, where people stopped to light fires, knap flint, and perform domestic tasks.
1.1 archaic Strike with a hard short sound; knock.
- Example sentences
- At the moment, it is thought either to be a Neolithic axe rough-out or the work of a modern flint knapper.
- Once again, the Hatch quarry represents a prospect site where the prehistoric knappers came to obtain jasper nodules and tablets scattered across the surface.
- We now know more than the simple fact that prehistoric knappers obtained tool stone at the Hatch quarry.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan