1Work (moistened flour or clay) into dough or paste with the hands.
- Transfer to a medium mixing-bowl, and add in the flour progressively, kneading the dough until it is no longer sticky and can be rolled into a ball.
- Dust your counter with flour and knead the dough a few times.
- Gently knead ingredients together by hand until dough is uniform but not sticky.
1.1Make (bread or pottery) by kneading flour or clay.
- Whatever political correctness may say on the subject, kneading bread is undoubtedly women's work.
- Mother didn't appear the least upset, and continued to knead the bread.
1.2Massage or squeeze with the hands: she kneaded his back
More example sentences
- Some of our co-passengers would head for the spa where the expert masseuse would knead their knotted muscles.
- During the Watsu treatment, you float in the arms of your massage therapist, who kneads your muscles and stretches your arms and legs.
- He released Bono's hands, starting in again on his fingers, massaging and kneading the aching flesh.
- Example sentences
- Wheat gluten can be extracted from wheat flour by adding sufficient water to make a kneadable dough which is then washed with a stream of cold water.
- Example sentences
- The word ‘lord’ is derived from the Old English hlaford, meaning ‘keeper of the bread’, i.e. master of the household. ‘Lady’ comes from hlaefdigge, meaning ‘kneader of the dough’.
- Only a handful of women were connected to their work, including one barber, one unskilled tailor, one bread kneader, a buyer, two millers, and a couple of servants.
Words that rhyme with kneadaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, Eid, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, need, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, screed, secede, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, supersede, Swede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.