adjective (knightlier, knightliest)
Associated with or typical of a knight; chivalrous: a knightly quest
More example sentences
- As the name suggests it concerns itself with chivalry, honour and knightly contests.
- The code of chivalry that embodied the knightly ideals - honor, generosity and courtesy - became the code of honor of the gentleman, and the foundation of fencing etiquette.
- It was possible for young men of relatively low status to make a mark through their prowess, but in general the participants were already of noble or at least knightly birth.
gallant, noble, valiant, heroic, courageous, brave, bold, intrepid, dauntless, fearless, stout-hearted;
upper-class, well born, high-born, noble, of noble birth, aristocratic, lordly, patrician, blue-blooded, titled
archaic gentle, of gentle birth
- Example sentences
- If Lanval's mysterious lady is beautiful and generous, she also takes his knightliness from him.
- Through such references, the reader is made aware that Perceval's transformation is not yet complete, despite the fact that other characters within the romance seem now to accept his knightliness at face value.
Words that rhyme with knightlynightly, sightly, sprightly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.