- A plant of a genus that comprises the red-hot pokers.
More example sentences
- Genus Kniphofia, family Liliaceae (or Aloaceae)
- Plants which will give year-round interest but don't require much work include Mahonia, weigela, hebe, kniphofia, sedum, wild geranium and Arum italicum.
- Tall strap-leafed phormiums, or New Zealand flax, and the architectural-looking kniphofia, or red-hot poker, added structure just as surely as did the seating areas, paths, and stone work.
- I like the grassy foliage and orange-yellow torchlike blooms of kniphofia, aka red-hot poker and torch lily.
modern Latin; named after Johann H. Kniphof (1704–1763), German botanist.