Definition of knitting in English:
1The craft or action of knitting.
- Traditional crafts such as knitting and lace-making have a wonderful history in Scotland.
- Erris is renowned for many things including its outstanding tradition in exquisite hand crafts like lace making, crochet, needlework and knitting.
- Crafts on show range from embroidery and knitting to doll making and china painting, with plenty of other weird and wonderful hobbies on offer.
1.1Material which is in the process of being knitted: I put down my knitting
More example sentences
- Everyone immediately forgot my stunning knitting achievements and began oohing and ahhing over her knitting.
- She insisted on bringing her knitting everywhere.
- Her father put his paper down and her mother laid her knitting in her lap.
stick to the (or one's) knitting
- informal (Of an organization) concentrate on a familiar area of activity rather than diversify.Example sentences
- The trend has taken on added momentum because so many companies are sticking to their knitting.
- Whatever the root causes, the business culture has gone from revolution to counterrevolution, from ‘let's make our move’ to ‘let's stick to our knitting.’
- We've simply stuck to our knitting, giving viewers the kind of top-quality, original programming they've come to expect from us.
Definition of knitting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan