Definition of knock-down in English:
1 informal (Of a price) very low.
[Used earlier to refer to reserve prices set at an auction]
- So, if your Christmas gift list expands as easily as your waistline at this time of year, you need to know where to pick up some spot-on presents at knock-down prices.
- He was given the property by its owners at a knock-down price in a bid to secure his support in Dublin County Council.
- When I called in the next day, there were still heaps of pre-autographed copies of their debut single sitting in the racks, at the knock-down price of 99p.
2Capable of knocking down or overwhelming someone or something: repeated knock-down blows
More example sentences
- A haven of genteel entertainment might persuade local residents that there were pleasurable and respectable alternatives to a knock-down drunken blowout every weekend.
- There are no knock-down arguments and there is legitimate disagreement even amongst like-minded experts.
nounBack to top
1 Boxing An act of knocking an opponent down.
- But each knock-down was ruled out as Moore was adjudged to have caught his opponent with low blows.
- Tembo said the tournament was deferred in accordance with the Boxing Board of Control rules which state that after a knock-down, a boxer could only return to the ring after 55 days.
- The nerve damage so restricted his activity that he was stripped of his International Boxing Organisation's inter-continental championship, a belt he captured with a devastating knock-down of Patrick Gallagher.
1.1 Soccer An instance of a striker heading a high ball down to a nearby teammate.
- Kevin Kuranyi connected with a knock-down to volley Schalke ahead.
- He slid the ball home after a headed knock-down sent the ball down into his path from the right side of the penalty box, proving the Tigers had brought along their shooting boots.
Definition of knock-down in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.