Definition of knockabout in English:
1Denoting rough, slapstick comedy.
- The mood can shift from knockabout comedy to taut thriller in a heartbeat, which keeps the viewer from becoming complacent: One never knows what the film is going to do next.
- It takes something close to idiocy to think that Shaw's comedy Arms and the Man can be played as knockabout farce.
- If this sounds like an unlikely subject for knockabout comedy, it is, but Booker prize winner DBC Pierre almost pulls it off.
nounBack to top
1A rough, slapstick comic performance.
- Now, at one level this is all harmless political knockabout.
- It is a fairy tale with links at various points to The Magic Flute, though there is less knockabout and more gentle humour in Henze's comedy.
- Behind the day's knockabout lay serious politicking over both policy and personalities.
Words that rhyme with knockaboutgadabout • roundabout
Definition of knockabout in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.