Definition of know-nothing in English:
1An ignorant person.
- He was a maniac, a know-nothing who wanted to impose himself on the story, without having a clue what it was about.
- The truth, bluntly, is that he is an irresponsible know-nothing.
- It's not the semi-literate know-nothings who pollute the comment boards of blogs with their repetitive drivel.
2 (Know-Nothing) North American historical A member of a political party in the US, prominent from 1853 to 1856, which was antagonistic towards Roman Catholics and recent immigrants, and whose members preserved its secrecy by denying its existence.
- Concerning the nomination of Fillmore, it was the perception of Fillmore throughout the state, not his actual record, that was most important in sending Know-Nothings to the Democratic Party.
- Many secret orders sprang up, and when outsiders made interrogations of supposed members, they were answered with a statement that the person knew nothing, which is why members were called Know-Nothings.
- Unionists such as Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson Hamilton allied with the Know-Nothings, reflecting that party's strength among the small farmers in the western districts.
- know-nothingism noun
- Example sentences
- Quite a few conservatives responded to the widespread put-downs of his intelligence by embracing literal know-nothingism.
- His song is a predictable piece of vaguely Christian know-nothingism.
- Most of these volumes preached the most ridiculous styles of know-nothingism.
Definition of know-nothing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.