past participle of know
- 1Recognized, familiar, or within the scope of knowledge: plants little known to western science the known worldMore example sentences
- It is not known when and if he will return and whether he will again take to the airwaves.
- The last known fact about her life is that she was picked up by a man from the Biltmore hotel.
- The seeds are crushed into a powder and there is no known antidote for the fatal solution.
- 1.1 [attributive] Publicly acknowledged to be: a known criminalMore example sentences
- Police also spoke to a known criminal in Fife who was said to be willing to kill for money.
- As so often with these cases, the trial of Bargh revealed he was a known sex offender.
- Mr Burgess was a known heroin addict in the town who had a string of criminal convictions.
- 1.2 Mathematics (Of a quantity or variable) having a value that can be stated.More example sentences
- There have been no major changes since last season, so we are dealing with a known quantity.
- The mass of Pluto is now known accurately since a satellite Charon has been discovered.
- If the ratio of the two parts of a given number is known, then each of them can be found.