- A paradoxical anecdote or riddle without a solution, used in Zen Buddhism to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and provoke enlightenment.More example sentences
- Like the ponderer of a Zen koan, the viewer must come to terms with this paradox.
- The goal of the Zen koan is enlightenment, which is a profound change of heart.
- Let's take a look at one of the classic Zen koans, the one about wild geese.
Japanese, literally 'matter for public thought', from Chinese gōngàn 'official business'.
More definitions of koanDefinition of koan in:
- The US English dictionary