noun (plural same)
- An antelope with a reddish coat and lyre-shaped horns, found on the savannah of southern Africa.
More example sentences
- Kobus kob, family Bovidae
- Other such hosts include the large buffalo, Syncerus caffer (which is not the domesticated water buffalo), wildebeest, waterbuck, impala, kob and quite small-bodied duikers.
- Animal populations have plummeted, and many larger mammals such as giraffes, striped hyenas, western kob, bushbuck and sitatunga are now considered extinct in the area around the lake.
- Similarly, Kobus kob, occupy leks when in open habitat at high population density, but they defend larger territories or occupy home ranges at low density.
late 18th century: from Wolof kooba.
noun (plural same)South African
- A fish of the drum family, especially the kabeljou.More example sentences
- Hoisted on a makeshift derrick, the cob was taller than the angler who had taken it.
- A year ago, when the cod crisis deepened, we were told to buy tilapia from the Indian Ocean, snapper from the Caribbean, South African kingclip, kob and panger to take the pressure off Atlantic stocks - but the sea change never happened.
early 20th century: abbreviation of kabeljou, with anglicization of the vowel.