- An Asian and Australasian cuckoo with a call that resembles its name, the male typically having all-black plumage.
More example sentences
- Genus Eudynamys, family Cuculidae: one or two species, in particular E. scolopacea
- Trying to make myself as small as I could, I slowly and quietly stalked the wild koel.
- I heard the taunting whistle of the koel and I knew I was in a mango orchard.
- As his voice resonated, mingling with the call of a distant koel, the mystery of the majestic edifice stood out.
early 19th century: from Hindi koël, from Sanskrit kokila in the same sense.
More definitions of koelDefinition of koel in:
- The US English dictionary