Definition of komatiite in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A magnesium-rich extrusive rock, typically with a characteristic texture of criss-crossing olivine crystals.
- This rhythmic layering is common within komatiite flows at Kambalda, and is inferred to reflect incremental emplacement by endogenous growth.
- The nature and distribution of vesicles in thick komatiite flows indicates two stages of vesiculation.
- Alternative origins include secondary influx due to devolatization, physical incorporation, and/or thermal incorporation of sediment resulting from komatiite lava flow on hydrous sediments.
1960s: from Komati (the name of a river in southern Africa) + -ite1.
- Example sentences
- Massive to pillowed tholeiitic basalt, komatiitic basalt and ultramafic rocks form a series of partly overlapping lensoidal bodies with typical sigmoidal outcrop patterns.
- The Reliance flow fields and associated sills are considered to represent, respectively, the volcanic and subvolcanic phases of komatiitic sill-flow complexes, each about 100 km in diameter, scattered across the craton.
- The widespread but discontinuous Reliance unit comprises a series of essentially discrete komatiitic flow fields that are submarine in most regions but partly emergent at Belingwe.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan