A very large Australasian kingfisher that feeds on terrestrial prey such as reptiles and birds.
- Genus Dacelo, family Alcedinidae: two species, in particular the laughing kookaburra or laughing jackass (D. novaeguineae), which has a loud cackling call
More example sentences
- Here and there the raucous laughter of the kookaburra seemed to mock our attempt.
- A kookaburra flies between the clusters of trees with buoyant, floating wing beats.
- The yammering kookaburra, usually so talkative, was silent, for he too was fast asleep.
late 19th century: from Wiradhuri gugubarra.
Definition of kookaburra in:
- The US English dictionary