noun (plural kouroi /-rɔɪ/)
- An ancient Greek statue of a young man, standing and often naked.More example sentences
- The Getty Museum was offered an ancient Greek marble of a standing youth, a kouros.
- The imagery has an affinity with Cycladic sculpture, with the forms of the archaic kouros, with the masks of the Luba from Zaire, and many other forms of expression evolved by rustics as opposed to urbanites.
- For example, he tells of art experts who examine a purported 6th century B.C. Greek kouros statue and instinctively know it's a fake.
Greek, Ionic form of koros 'boy'.
More definitions of kourosDefinition of kouros in:
- The US English dictionary