- A tree of the pea family, which bears hanging clusters of yellow flowers. It is native to New Zealand and Chile and yields useful timber.
More example sentences
- Sophora tetraptera, family Leguminosae
- At the end of the book, a kowhai is planted, a reminder of the bush that once covered the hill.
- Because they eat the new growth they have destroyed large areas of native rata, totara, titoki, kowhai and other species.
- To see a stand of mature red beech and also kowhai, fuchsia and rata trees choose Bob's Cove Bridle Track, a walk that takes 1.5 hours.
mid 19th century: from Maori.