Definition of kugel in English:
1 [mass noun] (In Jewish cookery) a kind of savoury pudding of potatoes or other vegetables.
- Their tote bags were laden with vegetables to prepare for chicken soup and potato kugel.
- They bring steaming trays of potato kugel and berry cobbler, bottles of grape juice and sweet wine.
- He meant potato kugel, no doubt made in the traditional way with eggs, chicken fat, onion, and grated potato.
2South African derogatory A spoilt and materialistic young woman, typically Jewish, with a distinctive nasal accent.
- Wealthy middle-aged American women, with bright red lipstick, black Cleopatra hairstyles and accents similar to Sandton kugels swamped the gardens, clicking digital cameras.
- And, despite her being the epitome of a kugel, the South African version of a Jewish American Princess, and being stereotypically racist in a white South African way, I actually like the woman.
Yiddish, literally 'ball'.
Definition of kugel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan