1 [mass noun] (In Jewish cooking) a kind of savoury pudding of potatoes or other vegetables.
- Their tote bags were laden with vegetables to prepare for chicken soup and potato kugel.
- They bring steaming trays of potato kugel and berry cobbler, bottles of grape juice and sweet wine.
- He meant potato kugel, no doubt made in the traditional way with eggs, chicken fat, onion, and grated potato.
2South African derogatory A spoilt and materialistic young woman, typically Jewish, with a distinctive nasal accent.
- Wealthy middle-aged American women, with bright red lipstick, black Cleopatra hairstyles and accents similar to Sandton kugels swamped the gardens, clicking digital cameras.
- And, despite her being the epitome of a kugel, the South African version of a Jewish American Princess, and being stereotypically racist in a white South African way, I actually like the woman.
Yiddish, literally 'ball'.
Definition of kugel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.