- 1Done with great effort and difficulty: his breathing was labouredMore example sentences
- In a labored effort, he stood up and paid a closer inspection to this enigmatic item.
- Larry's voice came in short, labored gasps as it slowly became more difficult to breathe.
- This one had manoeuvred itself into an exposed position and was climbing in a laboured manner up a twisted, dry vine that was coming away from the tree.
- 1.1(Especially of humour or a performance) not spontaneous or fluent: one of Alan’s laboured jokesMore example sentences
contrived, stiff, strained, stilted, forced, unnatural, artificial, mannered, studied, affected, overdone, overworked, heavy, ponderous, over-elaborate, over-embellished, long-winded, awkward, clumsy, inelegant, turgid, laborious, overwrought, not spontaneous, unconvincing, convoluted, complex, intricate, ornate, elaborate, prolix
- The pacing at times could have been a little more frantic as some of the humour became somewhat laboured.
- Her laboured and forced English accent, and disappointing performances from the rest of the cast, say a lot about the director's capabilities.
- Everything about director, Steven Brill's movie, smacks of desperation, though, given the laboured quality of most of the jokes, and the overall lack of subtlety.