noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An enzyme which catalyses the hydrolysis of lactose to glucose and galactose.More example sentences
- The enzyme lactase breaks down the lactose to galactose and glucose.
- Many people take extra doses of naturally produced enzymes, such as lactase, pepsin and trypsin, in supplement form.
- Lactose, the sugar present in milk, is split in the small intestine by the enzyme lactase into its constituent glucose and galactose molecules, allowing absorption of the glucose.
More definitions of lactaseDefinition of lactase in:
- The US English dictionary