noun (plural lactobacilli /-lʌɪ/)Biology
- A rod-shaped bacterium which produces lactic acid from the fermentation of carbohydrates.
More example sentences
- Genus Lactobacillus; non-motile Gram-positive bacteria
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- In my practice, I find that most bloated stomachs are caused by ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut, which you can combat by having a small pot a day of live natural yoghurt containing the probiotic bacteria lactobacilli, bifidus or acidophilus.
- These are likely to be unhelpful to women with bacterial vaginosis because the lactobacilli are directed at the wrong anatomical site and are of the wrong kind.
More definitions of lactobacillusDefinition of lactobacillus in:
- The US English dictionary