A small beetle with a domed back which is typically red or yellow with black spots. Both the adults and larvae are important predators of aphids. Called ladybug in North America.
- Family Coccinellidae: several genera and species, including the common European seven-spot ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata)
More example sentences
- Useful insects include silkworms and ladybirds that predate upon aphids.
- There is at least one example where PA accumulated by aphids from their host plant are in turn sequestered by the aphid's predator, ladybird beetles.
- Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.
More definitions of ladybirdDefinition of ladybird in:
- The US English dictionary