Definition of laissez-faire in English:
noun[mass noun, usually as modifier]
1The policy of leaving things to take their own course, without interfering: a laissez-faire attitude to life
More example sentences
- That doesn't mean advocating a policy of laissez-faire; it means helping all people to work together for their common good.
- For example, the hunting of musk-oxen was banned at the end of World War I, but generally policy was laissez-faire.
- David J. Hanson, a retired professor from nearby Syracuse University, has studied youth drinking and likes Montreal's laissez-faire policies.
1.1 Economics Abstention by governments from interfering in the workings of the free market: laissez-faire capitalism
More example sentences
- The original Western nineteenth-century route to modernization was associated with laissez-faire capitalism, individualism, and democracy.
- In all of his complaining about laissez-faire and the free market, Polanyi somehow overlooks probably the single most important aspect of this system: freedom.
- The laissez-faire philosophy of competitive capitalism translated into untold misery for the laboring classes in industrial cities.
- Example sentences
- Have you noticed how laisser-faireism has become the pervading truth?
French, literally 'allow to do'.
Words that rhyme with laissez-faireaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.