Definition of lamellipodium in English:
noun (plural lamellipodia)Zoology
A flattened extension of a cell, by which it moves over or adheres to a surface.
- Many models are based on the fact that the actin polymerization is a major contributor to the protrusive force, which leads to the extension of the lamellipodia of crawling cells on a hard substrate.
- In cells without a lamellipodium, the lamella reached all the way to the leading edge and the pattern of turnover did not deviate from its randomness, even in phases of pronounced protrusion.
- In these motile cells, lamellipodia of various shape are continually extended in different directions.
1970s: from lamella, on the pattern of pseudopodium.
- Example sentences
- Third, as far as the diffusion-limited growth is concerned, our estimates were made for the steadily protruding lamellipodial leading edge.
- Kymographic analysis of EGF-stimulated lamellipodial dynamics revealed that the temporal stability of lamellipodial protrusions similarly increased with fibronectin concentration.
- Another possible role of relatively rigid actin bundles embedded into the lamellipodial actin sheet is to strengthen the lamellipodium against buckling, by analogy with engineered macroscopic structures.
Definition of lamellipodium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan