Definition of lamellipodium in English:
noun (plural lamellipodia)Zoology
A flattened extension of a cell, by which it moves over or adheres to a surface.
- Many models are based on the fact that the actin polymerization is a major contributor to the protrusive force, which leads to the extension of the lamellipodia of crawling cells on a hard substrate.
- In cells without a lamellipodium, the lamella reached all the way to the leading edge and the pattern of turnover did not deviate from its randomness, even in phases of pronounced protrusion.
- In these motile cells, lamellipodia of various shape are continually extended in different directions.
- lamellipodial adjective
- Example sentences
- Third, as far as the diffusion-limited growth is concerned, our estimates were made for the steadily protruding lamellipodial leading edge.
- Kymographic analysis of EGF-stimulated lamellipodial dynamics revealed that the temporal stability of lamellipodial protrusions similarly increased with fibronectin concentration.
- Another possible role of relatively rigid actin bundles embedded into the lamellipodial actin sheet is to strengthen the lamellipodium against buckling, by analogy with engineered macroscopic structures.
1970s: from lamella, on the pattern of pseudopodium.
Definition of lamellipodium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.