A large Old World vulture of mountainous country, with a wingspan of 3 m (10 ft) and dark beard-like feathers, noted for its habit of dropping bones from a height to break them. Also called bearded vulture.
- Gypaetus barbatus, family Accipitridae
More example sentences
- The reserve is home to not only goats, red deer, and boars but also brown bears, chamois, lynx, roe deer, and wolves, as well as numerous eagles and large vultures called lammergeiers.
- Nest sites on high ledges, identified by white guano streaks on the cliff face, are home to lammergeiers that survive by picking on carcasses left by wolves or the harsh winters.
- News of the vulture poisonings has coincided with the release of an alarming report on a suspected decline in numbers of South Africa's rare bearded vulture, also known as lammergeyer.
early 19th century: from German Lämmergeier, from Lämmer (plural of Lamm 'lamb') + Geier 'vulture'.
Definition of lammergeier in:
- The US English dictionary