- Shaped like a lance head; of a narrow oval shape tapering to a point at each end: lanceolate leavesMore example sentences
- A large evergreen shrub that grows to to 20 ft or more, the Chilean fire bush has narrow lanceolate leaves, up to 6in long.
- They bear bipinnate leaves with small, oval to lanceolate leaflets.
- A few cultivars from the United States and Asia have distinctive narrow or lanceolate leaflets.
mid 18th century: from late Latin lanceolatus, from Latin lanceola, diminutive of lancea 'a lance'.
More definitions of lanceolateDefinition of lanceolate in:
- The US English dictionary